Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Yesterday was the busiest day ever! I overslept because I forgot to reset my alarm. I left the house in a hurry and Van had to get Dad up. He said he left him sitting at the bar, looking at books, as usual. He went back to the bathroom to get in the shower and said he heard a loud crash. He came back in to the kitchen area to find that Dad had fallen off the stool and was laying on his back. He called for Zeb and they got him up. He didn't seem to be hurt. Van told them to keep an eye on him at Life Care. He seems to be okay. Peter picked him up this afternoon and said he had a lot of trouble getting Dad to get out of the car when they got to his house. Later they went out to eat. When Peter brought him home, Dad came in and didn't want to take his coat off. He sat in his chair, with his coat on, for about an hour. I decided to get him in the bed. The first two times I told him it was bedtime, he said he wasn't ready for bed. I got Simon to come up and together, we helped pull him up. He seemed a little unstable at first, but then he went in and used the bathroom. I tried to get him to pull out his teeth and rinse them off, but he refused and I gave up that battle. I handed him his toothbrush and he did brush his teeth. This is our conversation, now, most nights:
Me: Let's take your clothes off.
Dad: Why?
Me: 'Cause you're getting in bed. Take off your shirt.
Dad: (He sits on the edge of the bed and unbuttons his shirt and then his shirt sleeves.)
Me: (I help him pull the shirt off) Take off your pants.
Dad: (Huffs a little. Unzips pants and pulls them down, then sits on the bed and puts leg out for me to pull off shoes and take pants legs off.)
Me: Now take off your underwear.
Dad: Why?
Me: Because we are going to put these clean ones on. (I show him the new Depend)
Dad: He pulls Depend down far enough for me to pull it off. Then he puts legs through clean Depend as I hold it and then he pulls it up.
Me: Now you can lay down.
Dad: Thank you. Thank you.
I hear his words less and less. He's in bed behind me whispering, "Lordy me mercy, Lordy me mercy.".....Susie


No comments:

Post a Comment