Saturday, December 18, 2010

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Wednesday was a regular day at work. I decided to run some errands after I got off because David was getting Dad. Susan called me when I was at Belk and said that David's car had broken down and I would need to pick up Dad. It worked out and they kept Dad on Thursday night. On Wednesday night, both times I tried to change Dad, he pitched a fit. He tried to pull the covers back and kept telling me to get away and that he didn't need changing. The first time, I gave up, but the second time Van came in to help and we got him changed. On Thursday morning, there was ice on the roads and school was called off. I got Dad up and Van took him to Life Care only to find that no one was there. He brought Dad back home and I made him eggs and toast for breakfast. I called Life Care around 10, and found that they had come in. I started to go in for 1/2 workday, but I had a headache and thought I would just take the rest of the day off. I took Dad to Life Care and came back home. I made homemade chicken noodle soup and tried to relax the rest of the day. David got Dad and I went with Van and the boys to Mudbones to hear Zack Byers play music. We got home just before David brought Dad home. Dad was okay with the nightly changes on Thursday night. Yesterday morning, Dad had his appointment with Dr. Jane. As we were talking about some of my recent concerns, I started crying. It seemed the tears were just rolling and I couldn't stop them. Jane said it was good for her to see my tears. She said that doctors often see their patients ten minutes and don't realize what the caregivers are really dealing with 24/7. Again, I think about how much support I have and how blessed I am in so many ways and that Dad is as good as he is. On the way out of her office, Dad saw the eye chart and read every line. He wasn't going to keep walking until he had finished the entire chart. Jane laughed. After his blood work, I took him to Life Care and went to work. Phillip called me about 4:00 and wanted to pick Dad up and bring him home. He took Dad to see some Christmas lights and when they got in, I made them some of the chicken noodle soup. Van and I left to go to the Water Oak for our anniversary. Zeb stayed home and Papaw sat. During the night, I got up at 1:00 to change Dad and he wanted no part of it. He didn't look real wet, so I thought I would wait. At 3:30, I went in to change him again. This time he was soaking. He got really angry that I wanted him to stand up and let me change him. I kept trying and knew I had to get him up because he was so wet. He kept telling me to "get away" and "go on". Zeb and Van, both awakened by us, came in, and the three of us got him changed. I slept until 9:30 this morning. I couldn't believe it. It was wonderful! Dad didn't get up until 10! We've just taken it easy all day and I have loved it. Dad keeps going up to the Christmas tree and touching all the ornaments. He counts them and then checks to make sure the Christmas lights are not too hot. Once, he went in the bathroom and used the bathroom. Then he went to the sink and hocked and spit. Then he got his brush and brushed his hair. Then he looked through his ditty bag. He kept doing that over and over. I tried to get him to come out, but he said, "I need to wash myself." I let him continue and he stayed in there for about 25 minutes, repeating those actions! I'm cooking dinner and not going anywhere! I love it! Susie
P.S. Zeb spent5 days in Oregon for the National Collegiate Cyclocross Race. He had a blast and Appalachian came in third! I'm so proud of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment