Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sunday, December 19, 2010

It's been a great day today. Dad got up about 7:45 and of course, I got up with him. I fixed him Rice Krispies with bananas and made a pot of coffee. I watched the news and Sunday Morning while he sat at the bar and looked through papers, magazines and his math cards. Zeb said he would stay home with Papaw while Van, Simon and I went to church. It's been a long time since Van went to church with us, so that was really nice. He is usually the one to stay home with Dad, although he doesn't complain about it! After church we all ate left overs and took it easy. Zeb left for a bike ride around 3 and Simon and Van left to go to Barley's Pizzeria. There was a benefit tonight for Tiffany, whose father just passed away with cancer. Lots of local musicians played and Simon started it off at 4. I got Dad ready. As we pulled out of the driveway, he asked where we were going. I said, "Barley's Restaurant." In just a second or two he asked again, and again I said, "Barley's Restaurant." After we had gone down the road about a mile, he looked over at me and said, "Susie, we are going to Barley's Restaurant!" He laughed. Then he repeated, "Barley's Restaurant" over and over. We got there just before Simon started to play. When the waitress asked Dad what he wanted to drink, he said giggling, "some Old Grandad", which use to be his daily drink. I got him a beer and when he took the first sip, he made a face. Then he drank the rest with no problem. The place was absolutely packed. Dad really enjoyed watching everyone and he laughed and had a great time. We saw some old time friends like Kathy Cunningham, Debbie Harrington and Jimmy Beason. We also saw Kathy, who use to keep Dad. It was great and even though Dad didn't remember them, he enjoyed their attention to him. We stayed for 3 hours and when I thought we better head home, he said he wasn't quite ready. Zeb drove us home and I got Dad into his pajamas and then I got in mine. I fixed his medicine for the week and got things ready for tomorrow. He's in his chair and I'm going to join him in the living room. Hope everyone has a great week and a happy holiday!!! Susie

1 comment:

  1. Dear Susie,
    Your boys sound extraordinary...not only very goal oriented, but sensitive to their granddad. You are a wonderful Mom.

    ReplyDelete